Sunday, November 06, 2005

52 Weeks to Make the World a Better Place: Week 46 - Recycling: the other R-words

Recycling is probably the first R-word that springs to mind in conjunction with a more eco-friendly lifestyle, but it should be the last resort - it has two precedents, repair and re-use. If I didn't wear repaired (i.e. darned) socks, my clothing bill would resemble the GNP of a small principality, due to the questing nature of my toenails. Repairing also keeps one more in touch with the manual skills that are in danger of becoming products of history: I'll wager that some cyclists now carry spare inner-tubes rather than puncture repair kits! And re-using - what does that mean then? Well, simply using something for a purpose not originally intended, beyond its normal lifespan. For instance, margarine tubs as first-sow seed trays, 'single-use' carrier bags for household waste (I have known people who got all their shopping in these, and promptly chucked them into their specially-purchased bin-liners, along with all their other rubbish - despair!).

4 Comments:

Blogger x said...

i use all plastic bags, but my personal obsession are little elastic bands. I can't get enough of them. Whenever i see one attached to something, i promptly take it, store it and use it again. what can i say!

11:10 pm  
Blogger UltraGnosis said...

Scarily enough, so do I! We have a nail protruding from an inner window-ledge, just behind the kitchen scales, that all the elastic bands get hung on. And they never seem to proliferate infinitely... I wonder where they eventually go?

7:18 pm  
Blogger x said...

they eventually end up in MY kitchen

8:28 pm  
Blogger UltraGnosis said...

Ah, a WORMHOLE, eh? I'll be following them shortly, just in time for lunch... ;-)

7:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home