Monday, January 09, 2006

52 Weeks to Make the World a Better Place: Week 2 - Learn to say "No" constructively

When I was younger, saying "No" was a relatively normal part of life, something that everyone did. Over the years, I've noticed its erosion to the point now that a firm refusal to comply really jolts the recipient out of their complacent torpor. But this doesn't mean that everyone does as they've agreed - quite the reverse. Now, people agree to things without any intention of following through, and this is usually left unremarked. I sometimes wonder how anything actually does get done. Saying "No" at the appropriate moment encourages honesty and empowerment in the user, removes niggling traces of guilt and may actually free up precious time!

2 Comments:

Blogger Berlinbound said...

I much prefer a solid, honest "no" to the "yes" that ultimately brings only disapointment and ill feeling.

(Found you via Chloe)

4:58 am  
Blogger UltraGnosis said...

I do so agree! My impression is that the trend is pretty much universal in the west (if that's not a contradiction!) - I wonder is that your also?

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home